Friday, November 2, 2012

Animal welfare is animal rights.

Don't believe me? I'll prove it to you. Better yet, I'll let you prove it to me.

But I don't believe in animal rights.


Okay, fine. But do you believe standards of animal care should be regulated or legislated?

Well, every animal has a right to--

Wait a minute. You said you don't believe in animal rights.

I don't.

So then, back to legislating or regulating standards of care. Why do so?

Because animals have a right to--


There's that word "rights" again.

It's just a word. I meant--


Laws are just words. Regulations are just words. Words define how we live, how we behave, how we think, what we believe. Dictating standards of animal welfare -- that's giving rights to animals. A right to food, a right to shelter, a right to medical care, and if you don't provide your animals with those rights, those words will put you in jail.

But shouldn't everyone have to take care of their animals?

Sure -- of their own will. Because it's the ethical thing to do. 


Not because the animal has rights provided by law.

Not unless you actually believe in animal rights.


2 comments:

  1. yeah BUT.. LOL.. great post.. I take car of my dogs because I want to

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    I'm launching a pet website soon, consequently I'm looking for well read people that can help people on the forum and keep it active, would you be interested? Since it's obvious that you have a great team of knowledgeable folk here I'd be delighted if your or any of the co-authors would be interested, thank you :)

    Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete